Saturday 27 April 2013

Book Review: Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick

Image from Google
 

About the book:

Rating: Medicore
Pages: 255
Released: April 1st 2012
Published by: Atlantic Books
 
 
-information from Goodreads
 
 
 

Synopsis:

Middle aged, newly divorced Bea Nightingale works as a teacher in an impoverised aread of New York in the 1950's. Out of the blue her estranged brother contacts her to ask if she'll go to Paris to find and bring home the nephew she's never met. From that moment she becomes increasingly entangled in the lives of her brother's family...
 
 

First Line:

"July 23, 1952"
 

Review:

I'm on the fence with this book. I obviously liked this book due to the speed that I read it, but I didn't find it riveting. I can safely say I have never read a book that's given me this reaction before. The plot was mediocre - nothing much happened at all. Not much happened with the characters either in terms of their development...Another problem I had with the characters as well is that I didn't identify with any of them and that is something that happens very rarely as well. Maybe that's the reason I'm on the fence about it? Having said that Cynthia's writting was good although some people may find it challenging. Overall, this book wasn't a horrible read but something just didn't click for me.
 

Recommended Audience:

This book was written as an adult book and due to Cynthias writing style I wouldn't really recommened it for people in their early teens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs