Sunday 7 April 2013

Book Review: The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Image from Google
 

About the Book:

Rating: Good
Pages: 231
Released: September 1st 2012 (my edition)
Published: Simon and Schuster

-information from Goodreads
 

Synopsis

Charlie is starting his freshmen year at highschool. He'd shy, introspective, intelligent and socially awkard...in other words he's a wall flower. The book follows Charlie as he attempts to make new friends and how he copes with the world of dating, sex and drugs that he's found himself abruptly thrown into .
 

First Line

"August 25, 1991"
 

Review 

This book was a new experience for me as I haven't read a book that is written entirely as letters. After getting used to this format, I think it suits the story very well and I quite enjoyed it, especially the mystery of who Charlie is writing the letters too. That mystery is one I never found out - I couldn't figure out who he was writing to. The plot to this book was amazing and is one that both teenagers and adults can relate too in terms of their own experiences. The characters were well thought out and even though you aren't witnessing them first hand. Charlie's story of life as a wallflower is so poignant and thought provoking that made me reflect on my own experiences and how I coped with them. There are serious points to this book that tackle a variety of social taboos that make you view them in a totally different way. But interwined with the seriousness there are moments of wittiness and awkardness that are as light hearted and heart warming as they are funny. This is a beautifully written story about the highs and lows of growing up (especially with a disability) and I throughly enjoyed it.
 

Recommended Audience

For Young Adults to Adults...or anyone looking for a quick good read. You won't be disappointed.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs